2017 Bunyan Velo Expedition fund
Grants + gear to enable pedal-powered travels
about the fund
The Bunyan Velo Expedition Fund was established in 2017 to encourage and support bicycle expeditions by providing grants and gear to traveling cyclists. Grants awarded through the Bunyan Velo Expedition Fund are made possible through reader donations and purchases made in the Bunyan Velo web shop. Gear and prizes have been generously donated by our partners, some of the best folks in the business.
Application for the 2017 Bunyan Velo Expedition Fund is now closed. Check back January 2018 for details on next year's Expedition Fund, or subscribe to our mailing list for details, here.
about Bunyan velo
Founded in 2012, Bunyan Velo is a collection of photographs, essays, and stories celebrating the simple pleasures of traveling by bicycle. To date, six issues of Bunyan Velo have been published, spanning more than 1,200 pages and chronicling bicycle expeditions the world over.
2017 PRIZE PACKAGE
A total of four Bunyan Velo Expedition Fund grants will be awarded this year. Each of the four individual winners will receive the following prize package:
- $250 grant to offset the cost of transportation and trip-related expenses
- Mr. Fusion seat pack from Porcelain Rocket
- Hauser 14-liter hydration backpack from Mission Workshop
- Shorts, jersey, and jacket from Search and State
- Pair of Bartender handlebar bags from Randi Jo Fabrications
- Scout Motto Tool Roll from Swift Industries
- One year membership and a set of maps from Adventure Cycling Association
- SMC4 saddle from Ergon Bike
Expedition grants are available to anyone who is planning an extended trip by bicycle within a calendar year of June 1st, 2017. There are no restrictions on age, gender, nationality, or experience level. Awards can be used to support planned expeditions or to extend ongoing trips. Application is open to first-time bicycle travelers and seasoned expedition cyclists alike.
While the application is open to anyone, we ask that all awardees are willing to:
- Share a selection of photos and text from their trip with Bunyan Velo and/or Expedition Fund partners.
- Respect the environment by following Leave No Trace principles while out on their trip.
- Serve as a positive ambassador on behalf of bicycle travelers everywhere.
The application deadline for 2017 grants 11:59 pm CST on Sunday, June 4th, 2017. Applications received after this time will not be considered. Winners will be announced in Mid-June 2017.
ready to apply?
If you have reviewed the information above and you’re ready to apply, please proceed to the 2017 Bunyan Velo Expedition Fund grant application form. Note that the form must be completed online, but you may download a PDF copy to review offline, here.
still have questions?
Please send any outstanding questions to Lucas Winzenburg, founder and creative director of Bunyan Velo, at email@example.com. Frequently asked questions will be posted here.
Thank you to our partners for their kind support: